Home
Administration
Parish Directory
Ministries
Recent Events
Hierarchical Visits
Contact Information
About Orthodoxy
Publications
Policy Statements
St. Stephen’s 100th Anniversary

 

ST. STEPHEN’S BULGARIAN EASTERN ORTHODOX CHURCH 

CELEBRATES 100th YEAR ANNIVERSARY


Local Church is one of five original in U.S. & Canada in Bulgarian Diocese

 

Gala Dinner Dance and Special Church Services September 12 -13, 2015

  

A Westside Indianapolis church rich in East European culture and history is preparing for its 100th anniversary celebration in September.

Founded in 1915 in Indianapolis by primarily Bulgarian and Macedonian immigrants, St. Stephen’s Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox Church today serves an eclectic community, which still celebrates its religion and East European foods, dance and culture. During the 1950s, Russian, Ukrainian, Greek and American parishioners began joining the church.

The church, which today is located at 1425 N. Medford Ave., will commemorate its century of service with a dinner and dance Saturday, September 12th at the Indiana History Center on the White River Canal in downtown Indianapolis. Guests will enjoy a reception, dinner and ethnic music provided by The Bill Skimos Band.

 On Sunday, September 13th, a Hierarchal Divine Liturgy will be held at 10:30 AM at St. Stephen's Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox Church.  His Eminence Metropolitan Joseph, His Grace Bishop Daniil will preside at the service along with Protopresbyter Fr. Dimitur Angelov, Parish Priest and spiritual leader of the church since 1985.

“This is a monumental celebration for St. Stephen’s and a tribute to the founding members who established our church 100 years ago,” said Father Dimitar.  “Sharing this special occasion with our current parishioners and the community is an honor and a privilege.” 

HISTORY of St. Stephen’s Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox Church:

St. Stephen’s Church was founded in 1915 at Blackford Street, across from Military Park in downtown Indianapolis. 

During World War II the congregation began to move to different parts of Indianapolis and the surrounding areas which enticed church members to relocate. In December 1954 construction began on the present location at 14th and North Medford Avenue. The church was completed in 1955. On October 14, 1962 St. Stephen’s was consecrated by the late Metropolitan Arch-Bishop Andrey. 

The Eastern Orthodox Churches trace their roots back to the Apostles and Jesus Christ.The Orthodox Christian Church is the direct descendant of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church of Jesus Christ. It was founded on the original day of Pentecost, as recorded in the New Testament Book of Acts.Orthodoxy is the repository of the fundamental faith, spirit, and ethos of the Apostles as preserved in scripture and other divinely inspired sources of church tradition.

 

 




  Powered by Orthodox Web Solutions Home Back Top